Sussex County Athletics Association
The Sussex County Athletics Association is the official body for athletics in Sussex. The Association executives and members meet six times a year, with an AGM in October, and two representatives from each affiliated club are eligible to attend the meetings. The agenda and minutes for the meetings are distributed to all club secretaries. All Sussex clubs are encouraged to affiliate to SCAA, and enquiries in this respect should be made to the County Administrator.
The SCAA has two main roles : providing athletics advice and holding competitions. It also supports the Sussex Athletics Network.
To encourage, advise upon and assist amateur athletics in the county, ensuring the observation of UKA laws at all athletics competitions.
To provide policy guidance to clubs and race organisers in such areas as inclusiveness, so as so uphold the Disability and Discrimination Act.
To assist with the formation of clubs.
To deal with Race Licence applications and give advice where needed.
To maintain a database of Sussex Officials and assist with their development and qualifications.
The SCAA holds the following annual events, at which County medals are awarded :-
Track & Field
Sussex County Championships (May)
Sussex Combined Events Championships (September)
Sussex U13 League and Championships (May - September)
Sussex U15 League (May - September)
Sussex Sportshall League - for young athletes (November - February)
Sussex Indoor Championships (March)
Team Managers (for U13, U15, U17, U20 and Senior) select teams to represent the County at Inter-County Matches and Championships.
Sussex Cross Country Relay Championships (October)
Sussex Masters Cross Country Championships (December)
Sussex Cross Country Championships (January)
Sussex Cross Country League (October & February)
Cross Country Team Managers select teams for all age groups to represent the County at Inter-County Championships.
Sussex Road Relay Championships (April)
10k Sussex Championships (varies)
Half Marathon Sussex Championships (varies)
10k Challenge (throughout the year)
There is a separate Road Running executive panel which meets before most County Executive meetings.
Sussex Athletics Network
The Sussex Athletics Network was established in 2009 following a successful bid by the SCAA to obtain funds for a McCains Athletics Network via England Athletics. All Sussex clubs who are affiliated to the SCAA and England Athletics are automatically included in the Network and benefit from the work it does. The Network has a full-time Co-ordinator and part-time Administrator, and activities fall largely into the three areas of Development, Communication and Support.
- Development activities are designed to benefit Coaches, Officials and Athletes and include :-
- Arranging Coach and Athlete Development Days through the winter.
- Assisting England Athletics with organising and advertising new courses (eg. Leadership in Running Fitness).
- Assist England Athletics with the introduction of initiatives (e.g. Athletics 365).
- Working with the Sussex Officials Secretary to update the Officials database and arrange courses as required.
- Developing a Clubs Handbook.
- Helping to organise Flying Coach visits for Endurance and Track & Field Coaches within member clubs.
Communication and Networking activities provide a means of sharing and spreading knowledge amongst members of the Network by such means as :-
- Organising Spring and Autumn Network Forums with specific workshops for Clubs, Coaches, Officials and Road Running members.
- Producing a bi-annual Network Newsletter with details of the past six months activities.
- Developing a website to communicate news and forthcoming events.
- Finding out what Clubs and their members want and getting them to share ideas.
The Support offered to Clubs, Schools and Universities helps with their athletic activities and includes the following :
- Creating a Funding Guide for Clubs, Coaches, Officials and Athletes.
- Initiating a Race Equipment Pool for Road Running, starting with a Race Clock.
- Helping Schools to deliver Sportshall and Quadkids Competitions.
- Working with Colleges and Universities to help sustain participation and provide a pathway into local Clubs.
- Providing a point of contact for Coaches, Officials, Schools, Clubs and members for advice and information.
To find out who to contact in SCAA about specific topics, please visit the Contacts page.