The Sussex Athletics Network was established in April 2009 as a result of a successful bid by the county proposing to develop the all round strength of athletics in the local community. It is one of the first ten Networks in the UK, initiated by England Athletics and funded by Sport England with sponsorship from McCain.
All Sussex-based clubs who are affiliated to England Athletics and Sussex County AA are included in the Network. Each one has the opportunity to get involved by taking advantage of what is being offered and working together with other clubs for greater success.
Activities fall largely into the three areas of Development, Communication and Support.
Development activities are designed to benefit coaches, officials and athletes and include :-
· Arranging Coach and Athlete Development Days through the winter.
· Assisting England Athletics with organising and advertising new courses (eg. Leadership in Running Fitness).
· Assist England Athletics with the introduction of initiatives (eg Athletics 365).
· Working with the Sussex Officials Secretary to update the Officials Database and arrange courses as required.
· Developing a Clubs’ Handbook.
· Helping to organise Flying Coach visits for endurance and track & field coaches within member clubs.
Communication and Networking activities provide a means of sharing and spreading knowledge amongst
members of the Network by such means as :-
· Organising Spring and Autumn Network Forums with specific workshops for clubs, coaches, officials and road running members.
· Producing a bi-annual Network Newsletter with details of the past six month’s activities.
· Developing a website to communicate news and forthcoming events.
· Finding out what clubs and their members want and getting them to share ideas.
The Support offered to clubs, schools and universities helps with their athletic activities and includes the
· Highlighting the funding opportunities available to clubs, coaches and athletes.
· Initiating a Race Equipment Pool for road running, starting with a race clock.
· Helping schools to deliver Sportshall and Quadkids Competitions.
· Working with colleges and universities to help sustain participation and provide a pathway into local clubs.
· Providing a point of contact for coaches, officials,schools, clubs and members for advice and information.
The Network Executive Group
The purpose of the Executive Group is to help steer the direction of the Network by bringing experience and advice from all areas of athletics within the county. The group includes Peter Masters (Chairman), John Gill, Reg Hook, John Linfield, Keith May, Martin Etchells, Pete Standen and Elspeth Turner (England Athletics).
Click here to view profiles of the Executive Group members.
The Network Staff
The Network has a part-time Administrator. In addition to this, staff are appointed to carry out specific projects, as required, according to a written brief.
Fiona Newport: Sussex Squad Days Co-ordinator (Track & Field) Winter 2013-14
Alan Swetman: Sussex Squad Days Co-ordinator (Endurance) Winter 2013-14
Email: [email protected]
Marion Hemsworth: Sussex Running Activator
Marion's role as Sussex Running Activator is to help create new sustainble running groups across Sussex, led by qualified leaders. Help will be given to promote and market new groups, which will be linked to clubs wherever possible. Marion will seek to increase the number of qualified leaders in Sussex, via Leadership in Running Fitness courses, and support existing leaders.
Tel: 07759 543522 / 01444 414475 or email: [email protected]
Melanie Anning: Sussex Network Administrator
Melanie was an athlete with AFD in her youth and now competes as a veteran for Brighton & Hove AC. She is meeting manager for the Sussex County U13 and Quadkids championships and is a Sussex field official. She is as a journalist and presently edits B&H's quarterly club newsletter. Her role is to provide administrative support for the Sussex Athletics Network as well as the County Association and maintain the website.
Tel: 07531 644208 or e-mail: [email protected]